Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 7 April 2015

Mental time machine




Why did today have to be Tuesday, because today is one of those days where I just wanted it to rain all day while I lie down on my bed, drink tea and read a Karen Kingsbury novel (days that only exist in my dreams these days- demands of growing up)


Have you ever been exhausted with a relationship, 5 yrs later and you ask yourself, How did i get here (because it has become a boring place and the emotions are gone)?

How about your job, when you go, why on earth am I even here? This is the worst and most boring job on earth.
Or life. To think it has almost everything you thought you wanted but it seems so empty and you are sad.

It was really not your fault (or anybody's) , all these things just became too normal to be exciting, they became boring and regular and tiring and you almost want to ask yourself " how could I ever want this, what was wrong with me?"


Rewind a little while before we got that and you would not believe the excitement we had about them.Take your brain back a few years or months or whenever.
Like the Job and the day we got the employment letter, the screams of excitement. 

The relationship, the day he asked you out and you felt butterflies (like OMG!!! this guy is going to be mine)
Or  Guys, the day you asked her out and she said yes; how you had lumps in your throat and the little fear that she might say no (even the baddest guys have this and yes!!!! i am sure)   or the feeling of accomplishment when she said yes. 

How were we so excited about something before and how does it get to the point when it seems old and boring and draggy and usual and what on earth is this (am i the only one that wonders how this happens).

Sometimes when we are having a little of this "unhappy situation" and someone around us is excited about getting something, the demon in us goes " you will soon be unhappy with this situation". 

Sometimes we are mean enough to say it to their face (we say it as if it is out of concern) but our hearts know better, the questions go like this-
 Are you sure you want to take that job?
Are you sure you want to date that guy?, you know good boys can be boring and i know you ( ah ahn)
I know the job is good o, but do you want to stay in that state?
Or the job is good o, but are you sure you want the stress?

Then our memories become really sharp and we simply and stress lessly remember sad stories about similar situations. The best part (sad really)  is how we end it, " don't worry your own will be different", I'm sure it won't happen to you". (Like the message hasn't been dropped already).

Back to the topic ( I tend to be a good diverter)

How do we get to the point of hating what we once loved?
How did that which made us smile, become the reason for a permanent frown?
How does love turn to hate?
 
I do not know (If you expected an answer, I am sorry to disappoint)
While I cannot say how we get there as the routes are as different as every individual and situation, the destination is almost always the same (tired, angry, suffocating and needing a way out).

 I can attempt something else (No promises, but no harm in trying right).
I think reflecting on it from the old view helps.
But at least, I can attempt to say how to get back on track.
 Remember how you felt on day one, how it felt to open the mail and see the employment offer, how it felt to be looked at by Bae, Babe, Baby ( whatever you choose to call yourselves).

Sometimes, it takes seeing things from a new eye, like re-evaluating.seeing it from the way you saw it the first day, remembering why it excited you and finding what made hat moment great to you. Like a little rewinding clock. No one can do it for you, but you can do it for you. There's always that memory that would make us smile again and maybe that is the starting point.

Its important to keep our mental time machine ready to go back or forward to what lies ahead.

Worst case, remind yourself of the scarcity of jobs, or good guys/ chicks or how long and sad it will be to find a replacement.
 This is where my theory and post really started from.

To get us ready and excited for the Easter events, my church made a one minute film to summarise the essence of Easter.
 One minute i repeat, but it was so strong it made people around me cry, tears streaming down and all. 
 It was a sudden realisation of what Easter meant, nothing we din't know but a fresh look and it changed my view of easter.

My Easter was a long something, so i shall break it down to 3 parts. A series??? (err I doubt, Just  3 stories of the Easter holiday events that are not really connected).

Today, I started from pre-Easter (I hope there is a word like this)

Have you ever wanted to give up on something, how did you find your way back? Please share, we all need to learn more ways,

Remember to use the mental time machine and  by any means necessary, Live life.

We will pick the next part of Easter up Thursday. Remember to follow by e-mail .


4 comments:

  1. I'm at the point where i just want to shut down from everything and be all alone; in my own space. Its almost like all the excitement is gone. But... I am learning to take a few steps back. Think about I got there (job, relationship) and then consciously remind myself about how happy I was and get back to that happy point.
    Hey, it is hard but it can be done. I'd rather enjoy it than be unhappy and end up regretting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hey, it happens to us all,what matters is realising you are at the point and making a conscious effort. Something I forgot to add in the post is to help us remember the good times,pictures,diaries and event markers help. You can start keeping these things,so when next the tiredness comes, you have an amour against it. Keep counting your blessings. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Somehow, i stumbled on this piece, it really blessed me. Many thanks to the writer (I would appreciate if the writer's name were to be published with each piece for referential purpose,in case the piece can't survive being copied to pass a message in another contest).. My view on this subject matter: Record-keeping would go a long way making us have a positive thought about our experiences still, because it reminds us of God's faithfulness. As a person, whenever i face a challenge, i choose to maintain a positive mental attitude knowing that i would overcome it afterwards, and if i eventually overcome it, i fabricate my mind to expect a bigger challenge because of the school of thought i believe in that says "the higher you go, the tougher it becomes". That way, i'm often prepared for the worse case. As it is, my flash-backs on how i overcame challenges in the past that now seem to be nothing now (e.g how mathematics was difficult in my primary school classes), gives me hope about a fresh challenge, thinking i had felt worse in the past and i overcame, and on this, i would overcome again and step higher. I'm an entrepreneur, i know what it means to move from "Zero to Hero" because i've been through the process. That thought aids me to trust the Lord even when success is not near, that's my secret, and i believe same formula can work for anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Apanisile...can i just say i love your name.
    I also really move you method, it is a good step and I will start at it too. Thank you.
    sorry about the anonymity of the writer, that will be addressed soon.

    ReplyDelete