Powered By Blogger

Friday 10 April 2015

Nature's Identity Crisis



There is a reason we have holidays, so we can rest from work and have fun.
While fun means different things to different people- Reading a book, watching a movie, cooking and sleeping, I think there is a need to find fun in stepping out, going out to do something. For help on that, please read an earlier article, The Bucket list.

When I was growing up, my family moved to Jos. My elder brothers were in secondary school, leaving my parents, my younger brother and I. Great times.

Every Sunday, after church we would dress in hiking clothes, jeans, shirts and trainers and head to a new rock location that my dad would have spotted over the week. It was an exciting routine.

We would climb a hilly rock for about 30 minutes, with our board games, football, camera and well packed picnic.

I loved those times and I am still drawn to nature.




On my way home for the Easter, I realized that while I do not have all the money in the world(yet) , I still want to travel and see things. I realized that careful planning is all it really takes, 

I want to start from this Christmas (fingers crossed). Life is too short to not see the world (please note that the world starts from outside your door, the world is not in the movies or novels, you have to step out to see it).

A lot of people think they have to travel out and their budget bla bla, but there are beautiful places in Nigeria if you are willing, here are  a few
1. Kajuru Castle Kaduna
2. Yankari game reserve Bauchi
3. Obudu ranch in Cross river
4. Gurara water falls, Niger state
There are also a lot of travelling agencies, Brisk Nigeria, Wakanow, or other deals on deal dey and booking early helps.
And there are a lot more. It is just the 4th month of the year, and a little dedicated savings a month can take you a long way.

In the love for nature, my friends invited me to head to Gurara water falls in Niger state.

So on Saturday 04/04/2015 we planned to head down. Before the journey began, we went to get a few things we would need. We drove into a store to get them. 

While driving in we read a disclaimer that said loosing the card attracted a fine of N10,000, we laughed at how ridiculous the price was and went in, only to misplace our own card (what is it they say about power of the tongue, lool).

Well to cut the long story short, we spent about an hour sorting it out, by we; I meant the guys, and the ladies remained in the cars. 
(To say it mildly I sat meekly, but I hated that, why could I not be inside with the guys finding a solution and filling the forms. I felt really boxed and I buzzed their phones, but going in meant getting hate eyes from the other girls; who does this girl think she is??? Women issues, to be handled soon) and having some of the guys think this girl is stubborn o, why can't she just sit in the car?).

We (they) sorted that out and hit the road. Just as we got there and were settling, some of our friends strolled further away and we heard screams and my friends came back shaken, someone had just drowned.

We strolled towards the group, young people like us, who had come to have some of natures peace and quiet, they had gone into the water to swim, and as they were getting ready to go, their friend was coming out of the water and started drowning (maybe he lost a footing). 
One of the “water guards” tried to pull him up, but he started pulling him in instead and he had to let go.

Two of my friends and I gathered around the water to pray for a miracle (I still pray will come). The guy never came back up till his friends left, and so they drove home without him. I wondered who will go to his house door to tell his family, 

How would they find the strength to travel home safely?
Its been 5 days and I am still not over it, the times you want to ask God why, but he understand things better.

Talk about an Identity Crisis.
                         

So you love nature but it can be dangerous, tornadoes, tsunamis. Beautiful and yet deadly (talk about trying to figure out your identity) , that is natures war and we cannot stop it, we also cannot live locked because you never know.
With nature; it is a love hate thing.

Nature has its own Identity crisis, to be loving or to be fighting.
To allow them have fun and go or to bring out the evil roar.
Even nature has its own Identity Crisis.
I want to be angry at nature, but I know just like me, it has its own struggles.
Then again, God made the earth (beautiful) but now, the devil runs it (talk about that mean guy, what do you expect)

I do not know if that would scare or encourage you to explore nature, but live while you can, enjoy the beauty of the earth, by all means live life.

I know this is a sad story, feel free to say whatever you feel in the comment box.
also share how you have managed finances to enable you go on  a vacation.
My vacation, story 2, story 1 here

The Vacation part 3 comes up on Tuesday. See you then.

Remember to Live life.
(I hope you start making plans, so by January we can take turns to share vacation stories).


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's OK, I felt the same way too, thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. Nature is beautiful, it's just a glimpse of God's creativity but he gave it to the devil and yet gave us(Christians) dominion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hope we always remember that.thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. Great piece, although sad.
    I pray by some miracle the boy comes back.
    Nature is Gods special gift to us. And should be explored. It's important to take time off to relax.
    However, we shd heed to the precautions always, wear the right cloths, right shoes, don't go into free water if you can't swim well or get a life jacket.
    Waiting for part 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, the advice was also great, hope more people get to learn the importance of the right gear and how to keep safe. Thanks

      Delete