Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 11 March 2015

Where Women Stand

I read with utter shock the story of the Saudi woman who was raped by 7 men (not 1, 2 ,3 ,4,5 or 6, a whole 7 ). Instead of helping her go through the trauma, convicting the men and arraigning them before a gun squad, she was publicly flogged for going out without male company, she protested this and was flogged 200 times in public . My head has scrambled.
( Give me a minute to understand this please) .




(I still don’t get it, but waiting for me to will take forever. So let’s move on)
But really, Why?

Did someone ask again why March 8th is marked as International Women’s day?
I know the day has passed, but this is my next post after it and I dare say this day  deserves to be everyday in the life of every woman/ human.





Let’s go back a little while.

There was a time when women could not work or vote. They had to dress a certain way in public. They could not complain about how their husbands treated them and they were subject to his wishes.
Women woke up and said no. They fought hard and those amazing women won.

Thanks to them women now have jobs, own cars cars,  bank accounts, and property. Women can now drink or smoke if we want to. Women  can now apply to study certain courses and can even  file for divorce ( not like it is supposed to be but the option is now available, not in that way, my point is the freedom we have).
(The simple things we take for granted these days)

Thanks to them being a woman doesn't seem like a curse but a blessing. Thanks to them we can now scream the power of a woman.

The real thing to think about is this: Are things for women the best they can be? 

NO
Firstly, not when in some countries women are still treated that way. Not when women in some offices work as hard as the men but do not get the promotions they are due. Not when some men still feel insulted if their boss is a woman  (not like I blame some of them, women can be--women) or how ballistic some men go if a woman gets a promotion before they do, forgetting how much harder than them she worked.

I am really proud of Rima Karaki who showed women how it is done. This TV host and university professor, cut off a scholar on national TV some days ago for making demeaning  statements about how she was beneath interviewing him. After cutting him off from the live broadcast, she said “In this studio, I run the show.” (a standing ovation please). I hope she gets an award soon.

Secondly, Women need to know that we have come too far to still be stuck , some of this women are
·        1.  Women in abusive relationships, who are beaten, bruised and even harassed emotionally ( the thinking that he is too good for me or I am lucky to have him because he is above me ). A relationship should be about mutual love and respect.

·         2. Women who want to chase their passions but the society expects them to act a certain way, so you hold back.
·       3.   Girls whose families give them out for marriage in exchange of financial benefits (to send her brothers to school).

     The International Women’s day ( which I have decided should be a everyday in my entire life) is to remind us that the fight is not over.  Some women fought to bring us this far, we need to extend that hand. How?

1.       Tell our friends that it is OK to dump the guys that treat them like tramp.
2.       Go to our friends house and help them move out if they are victims of repeated domestic violence.
3.       Speak up in our offices if we are disregarded by men.
4.       Talk to young girls about having dreams and not letting anyone shut them down.
5.       Stand up against marrying off of young girls in our neighborhood and families.
6.       Sponsoring the education of  young girl we know is interested in school but her family cannot afford it.
7.       Treat your house helps like women that they are.

The title of this year’s women day by UN was/ is "Empowering Women, Empowering Humanity: Picture it!"
Empower a woman in your life throughout this year- emotionally, spiritually, physically. This “fight is not over” not until the day when no girl in the world is hit or raped or insulted and Every woman is treated with respect.

Let us know, let our friends know, let our daughters grow to know. Women have come too far to take a step back.

I know I sounded angry, I am not. Just worried that things are not right yet.


Please share your view on Women’s freedom and empowering a woman?

Everywoman has a right to by all means live life and be happy.

7 comments:

  1. I admire your passion and I actually enjoyed the write-up. In as much as I understand your point of view on the various issues and I wish it away. I just want you to also look at woman to woman maltreatment and share your views. It's becoming a big problem expecially in nigeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. i will definitely write about that soon. Keep watching out. Thanks for the idea by the way

      Delete
  2. My name na Temi_tex, me I love women die, my mama na my number 1 person, thou I no get sister, but I no support women been treated badly. Na y I go prefer gudluck ebele jonathan 4d nigeria women than take us backward to Gmb days make women get limited access to certain positions, dey no fit dress how dey want or do want dey want publicly. As 4me ooo, d writer done hammer 4 all her point. Babe u sabi. Come chop kiss. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temi_Tex, thank you very much for being in support of women. Remember to empower at least one woman daily. Thank you

      Delete
  3. I can finaly say I know a female activist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a blunt Nigerian thank you. I am not sure i am fully qualified to be one though. Hope you are really blunt about issues in the society. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Very touchy reading through this! I pray one day we men will truly appreciate a woman's worth!

    ReplyDelete